- Working groups
- Civil society
- Technical cooperation
- Country systems capacity
- Enabling Environment
- Fragile situations
- Sector strategies
- Case stories
- Net search
Managing for capacity results
There is increasing recognition of the crucial contribution that capacity makes to sustainable development. Its importance as a fundamental objective of aid is also more and more acknowledged. These trends suggest that developing countries and their partners who are committed to managing for development results (MfDR) need also to find ways to effectively manage for capacity results.
- Managing results for effective institutions, discussion paper prepared for the Effective Institutions Platform meeting, February 2013
- Joint statement on results and capacity development
- Managing for Capacity Results, Heather Baser, March 2011
- Managing for Capacity Results (2-page version), Heather Baser, March 2011
Recommended reference materials
- African Capacity Building Foundation (2011) Africa Capacity Indicators 2011: Capacity development in fragile states,
- Andrews, Matt, Jesse McConnell and Alison Wescott (2010) Development as Leadership-Led Change - A report for the Global Leadership Initiative and the World Bank Institute (WBI), Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, Faculty Research Working Paper Series RWP 10-009
- Baser, Heather (2009) The Law and Justice Sector Program (LJSP) Papua New Guinea An Experimental Approach to Monitoring Capacity and Capacity Development: An Overview of the Findings and an Assessment of the Framework
- Cooperrider, David, and Diana Whitney (1999) "What is appreciative inquiry?", A Positive Revolution in Change: Appreciative Inquiry. Corporation for Positive Change.
- Davies, Rick, and Jess Dart (2005) The ‘Most Significant Change’ (MSC) Technique: A Guide to Its Use.
- Dozois, Elizabeth, Marc Langlois, and Natasha Blanchet-Cohen (2010) DE 201: A Practitioner’s Guide to Developmental Evaluation, The J.W. McConnell Family Foundation and the International Institute for Child Rights and Development
- Earl, Sarah, Fred Carden, and Terry Smutylo (2001) Outcome Mapping: building learning and reflection into development programs, International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
- European Commission (2005) Institutional Assessment and Capacity Development: Why, what and how?
- GTZ, Capacity Works: The management model for sustainable development.
- James, Rick (2005) Quick and Dirty Evaluation of Capacity Building: Using Participatory Exercises, INTRAC Praxis Note 15
- Jones, Harry (2011) Taking responsibility for complexity: how implementation can achieve results in the face of complex problems, ODI Working Paper no. 330, Overseas Development Institute
- Kagame, Paul (2011) Speech on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the African Capacity Building Foundation, Kigali, Rwanda, 8 February 2011
- Keystone Accountability (2011) NGO Partner Survey 2010, Keystone Performance Surveys
- Matta, Nadim, and Patrice Murphy (2005) When Passionate Leadership Stimulates Enduring Change: A Transformational Capacity Development Anecdote from Uganda, World Bank Institute Capacity Development Briefs no. 13
- Matta, Nadim, and Peter Morgan (2011) Local Empowerment Through Rapid Results, Stanford Social Innovation Review, Summer 2011
- Mayne, John (2008) Fostering an Evaluative Culture: The Key to Effective Evaluation and Results Management
- Natsios, Andrew (2010) The Clash of the Counter-bureaucracy and Development, Center for Global Development
- OECD (2008) Managing for Development Results: Information Sheet, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development
- OECD (2009) Donor capacity development innovation: Australia. OECD DAC Issues brief 5, December 2009
- Pabari, Mine, and Jim Woodhill (2010) The Managing for Impact Approach
- Rhodes, Deborah, and Christopher Dureau (2009) "Discussion Paper for AusAID on Strengths Based Approaches: Advantages and Possible Uses", Annex I in Rhodes, Deborah, and Christopher Dureau (2009) Submission to the Independent Review of Aid Effectiveness: Strengths-based approaches to aid and development.
- SNV (2011) Managing for Results Standards.
- UNDP (2009) Capacity Development: A UNDP primer
- UNDP (2010) Defining and Measuring Capacity Development Results
- World Bank Institute (2009) The Capacity Development Results Framework: A strategic and results-oriented approach to learning for capacity development
- World Bank Institute (2010) WBI Capacity Development and Results Framework Overview
No events are currently scheduled.